Carina Press will consider books that have been previously released or self-published, though the following applies:
- The author must either currently retain the rights or have a letter of reversion from the original publisher.
- In addition to the previously published work, we would expect to see a new, never-before-published work submitted. If the previously published book is part of a series, we would expect to see the next (unpublished) book in the series. If the previously published book is a standalone, we would expect to see a separate (unpublished) submission. We are looking for authors who want to work with Carina Press to grow their career with new, unpublished titles.
To submit previously published material please submit a query letter with:
- book description
- overview of author’s career
- explanation of where the title was previously published.
- If the book is still for sale, please tell us where it’s for sale. Including any information on sales, number of reviews, average review rating, etc is also helpful.
All of the above information is required in the query letter. Without any of this information, we will decline to read further.
If we are interested in reading your manuscript, we will ask to see the manuscript, a synopsis, series outline and overview of new material you are proposing in addition to the previously published work. If you do not have new material in mind, please do not proceed with submission at this time.
We define previously published as work that has been made available for sale to consumers, either on the author’s website or on an etailer. Works that have been made available for free reading on sites such as Wattpad are not considered previously published. If your book was contracted by a publisher but was never made available for sale, we do not consider that previously published.
*Please do not put previously published material under any other Submittable category as it will be declined.*